In his article, author Peter Woodhull presents the following 3 worst practices and 3 best practices to implementing BPM (Business Process Management) and SOA (Service-Oriented Architecture):
- Buying software first without understanding the business needs and requirements.
- Discounting the organizational change effort required to make the solution work.
- Trying to “boil” the ocean, trying to do all at once.
- Start by defining and validating the problem and the business process in question.
- Use BPM and SOA as part of the solution instead of THE solution to complex business problems.
- Start with a mission critical process to ensure the necessary executive sponsorship and priority.